[ovs-discuss] _APPLY_ vs _WRITE_ actions

David Evans davidjoshuaevans at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:42:18 UTC 2015

Hi OVS.

I would like to OFPTFPT13_APPLY_ACTIONS and have have subsequent table
matches on the modified packet.
The OpenFlow spec indicates that apply actions are applied immediately, and
the matches defined in subsequent tables are tests against the modified
packet. but this doesn't seem to be so for me.
Packet tests against an inner header are do not discover the inner traffic
unless there has been a recirculation. (forcing an update of the packet
metadata/flow data)
It looks to me that OVS is, for every _APPLY action behaving more like
_WRITE action behaviour of the spec.

Can anyone clarify this understanding of _WRITE vs _APPLY

Regards,

Dave