[ovs-discuss] Questions about Openvswitch on FreeBSD 10.1 Release

1214781328 at qq.com 1214781328 at qq.com
Wed Aug 12 06:16:17 UTC 2015

Hello:
Sorry for bothering you, but I got a strange bug while trying to build a GRE tunnel using Openvswitch between 2 virtual machines based on KVM. The OS of 2 virtual machines are FreeBSD 10.1 Release, and the host OS is CentOS 6.3, Openvswitch version 2.3.2 on virtual machines. I’ll describe my bug in the following paragraphs.

INSTALLATION: I checked all the optional modules while installing FreeBSD, and installed openvswitch 2.3.2 by typing “pkg install openvswitch” into FreeBSD’s console, then “pkg install python” because the console said some additional modules needs to be installed (2KB).

CONFIGURATION:
1) “rm -f /var/db/openvswitch/conf.db”
2) “ovsdb-tool create /var/db/openvswitch/conf.db /usr/local/share/openvswitch/vswitch.ovsschema”
3) “ovsdb-server --remote=punix:/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock --remote=db.Open_vSwitch,manager_options --pidfile --detach”
4) “ovs-vsctl --no-wait init”
5) “ova-vswichd --pidfile --detach ―mlockall
NO ERROR during the procedures above.

THEN COMES THE BUG: When I try to add a bridge “ovs-vsctl add-br br0", it said: "ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'br0'.  See ovs-vswitchd log for details.” Then i tried “ovs-vswitchd log”:

2015-08-11T05:48:55Z|00001|reconnect|INFO|log: connecting...
2015-08-11T05:48:55Z|00002|reconnect|INFO|log: connection attempt failed (Address family not supported by protocol family)
2015-08-11T05:48:55Z|00003|reconnect|INFO|log: waiting 1 seconds before reconnect

Also i can’t find any info about “br0” in the list generated by “ifconfig”...

So i checked on google and someone said do “ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 data path_type=netdev” and the new bridge will appear in “ifconfig”, well i tried and it did work. BUT the same error ("Address family blabla..”) keeps appearing after any command i tried to execute, like add-port. I wonder if I did something wrong or didn’t configure some options during Openvswitch installation and configuration. I hope you can check my email and let me know the solution, or if you are not aware of the specific solution, let me know the details when you install and configure Openvswitch on FreeBSD. Thank you very much.

Yours.
Jialiang.Zhang