[ovs-discuss] GRE ports missing in ovs-dpctl

Abhishek Verma abhishekv.verma at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 14:09:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

I downloaded the latest OVS code from the git repository and i notice that
i dont see the GRE ports as separate ports in the data plane. There now
appears only one GRE port gre_sys that represents all the GRE ports in the
system.

root@:/home/akabra# ovs-dpctl show
system at ovs-system:
lookups: hit:331101 missed:1090 lost:0
flows: 1
masks: hit:584458 total:1 hit/pkt:1.76
port 0: ovs-system (internal)
port 1: ion1 (internal)
port 2: gre_sys (gre)

Can somebody tell me why this change was done? Wasnt the earlier
abstraction (at least till 2.3.2) better since each GRE tunnel was an OF
port (or a dataplane port) and it was quite intuitive to write the of-flow
rules since i could identify the GRE tunnel by a port. We seem to have lost
that abstraction. Is there a benefit we get by doing this -- performance
gain, etc?

Thanks, Abhishek