[ovs-discuss] Leaking packets from one bridge to another or how can I isolate networks with OVS?

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Aug 20 17:07:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 02:21:47PM +0200, Peter Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for adding me to this list. I have a fairly strange problem and I am
> not sure if it is a design flaw in my setup or a bug.
>
> I want to use OpenVSwitch and KVMs to create some testnetworks that have
> Internet access but are strictly separated otherwise, so that I have VLAN
> functionality and packets from different networks do not interfere with each
> other.
>
> My setup is as following:
>
> I have one host and I use one instance of ovs 2.3.0 and pox with the
> l2_learning module as
> controller on every bridge.
> I have a bridge br0 that should be used for the access to the outer network.
> This bridge has an IP address on the host and also the physical devices
> added
> as a bond. Also one interface from a KVM (KVM0) is added to this bridge.
>
> Bridge "br0"
>     Controller "tcp:127.0.0.1:6633"
>         is_connected: true
>     Port "tap0"
>         Interface "tap0"
>     Port "br0"
>         Interface "br0"
>             type: internal
>     Port "bond0"
>         Interface "p12p2"
>         Interface "p10p1"
>         Interface "p12p1"
>
> I have access to the outer network from KVM0. Now I added a second bridge
> br1000. This device is not up on the host and only used in ovs. I
> start some KVMs and connect the tap devices to this bridge br1000 and
> also some
> interfaces from KVM0. So basically, KVM0
> is connected to br0 and br1000. I use IP forwarding on KVM0 to enable
> access for all the other KVMs on br1000. This does also work.
>
> Bridge "br1000"
>     Controller "tcp:127.0.0.1:6633"
>         is_connected: true
>     Port "br1000"
>         Interface "br1000"
>             type: internal
>     Port "tap4"
>         Interface "tap4"
>     Port "tap1"
>         Interface "tap1"
>     Port "tap3"
>         Interface "tap3"
>     Port "tap2"
>         Interface "tap2"
>
> What happens now is, that I can see ARP requests and other traffic from
> the outer network on
> br1000, which should (in my understanding) not be visible on br1000. It
> should
> only be visible on br0. I can also see this traffic from inside the KVMs
> connected to br1000 only.
>
> Some experiments I did:
>
> Removing KVM0's interface tap0 from br0 and adding it to br1000 fixes the
> problem that I can see other traffic, but of course, access to the outer
> network is not available from all KVMs.
> Adding a patch connection between br0 and br1000 of course lets the traffic
> appear again on both bridges and I have again internet access.
> [...]

Did you see this question in the FAQ?

### Q: I configured one IP address on VLAN 0 and another on VLAN 9, like
   this:

       ovs-vsctl add-br br0
       ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0
       ifconfig br0 192.168.0.5
       ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vlan9 tag=9 -- set interface vlan9 type=internal
       ifconfig vlan9 192.168.0.9

   but other hosts that are only on VLAN 0 can reach the IP address
   configured on VLAN 9.  What's going on?

A: RFC 1122 section 3.3.4.2 "Multihoming Requirements" describes two
   approaches to IP address handling in Internet hosts:

   - In the "Strong ES Model", where an ES is a host ("End
     System"), an IP address is primarily associated with a
     particular interface.  The host discards packets that arrive
     on interface A if they are destined for an IP address that is
     configured on interface B.  The host never sends packets from
     interface A using a source address configured on interface B.

   - In the "Weak ES Model", an IP address is primarily associated
     with a host.  The host accepts packets that arrive on any
     interface if they are destined for any of the host's IP
     addresses, even if the address is configured on some
     interface other than the one on which it arrived.  The host
     does not restrict itself to sending packets from an IP
     address associated with the originating interface.

   Linux uses the weak ES model.  That means that when packets
   destined to the VLAN 9 IP address arrive on eth0 and are bridged to
   br0, the kernel IP stack accepts them there for the VLAN 9 IP
   address, even though they were not received on vlan9, the network
   device for vlan9.

   To simulate the strong ES model on Linux, one may add iptables rule
   to filter packets based on source and destination address and
   adjust ARP configuration with sysctls.

   BSD uses the strong ES model.