[ovs-discuss] a problem about passing metadata in packet-in

Chao Hu chao.hu at ericsson.com
Fri Aug 21 19:51:15 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to pass metadata from OVS switch to controller but always get 0. Anything wrong with my steps?
My test environment is:
OVS: 2.0.2
OVS-controller: 2.3.1
OF: OpenFlow1.3

My test steps are:

1.       Make OVS-controller to send a OFPRAW_NXT_SET_PACKET_IN_FORMAT message to OVS switch, to set the packet-in-format to NXM (Nicira Extended). As I captured, it's a OFPT_EXPERIMENTER packet and the content is exactly the same with the packet of running "ovs-ofctl monitor -P nxm tcp:myip:6653 -O OpenFlow13". Seems Switch do nothing after received this packet.

2.        Add a flow to OVS switch:
cookie=0x0, duration=28.019s, table=0, n_packets=0, n_bytes=0, in_port=2 actions=CONTROLLER:65535,write_metadata:0x11/0xffff

3.       OVS switch send the packet-in traffic to controller when it matches above flow, but metadata is 0.

Thanks!
Chao