[ovs-discuss] [Bug] When a port is in namespace, replacing port in one command line will not bring port to system.

Hong Hui Xiao xiaohhui at cn.ibm.com
Wed Dec 16 05:50:24 UTC 2015

Hi all.

    This is found at OpenStack Neutron, the original bug is reported at
[1].

    The use case is that: User might delete the namespace unexpectedly.
neutron-l3-agent will try to rebuild the namespace and the ports that used
to be in the namespace at startup. Firstly , the namespace is created. Then
neutron-l3-agent will replace the old port, config the new port and set it
into namespace. However, neutron-l3-agent will fail at config the new port,
reporting that the new port is not found. The log in neutron-l3-agent is at
[2].

    When I look into the bug, I found that neutron-l3-agent will replace
the old port with "del-port" and "add-port" in one command line. An example
of the command line is at [3]. I checked in ovsdb, and found that the uuid
of the port is updated. So, the command is accepted by OpenvSwitch.
However, the port can't be seen by "ip a" command.

    Then I try to split the command into 2 commands line, one is for
"del-port", the other is for "add-port". This time the port can be seen by
"ip a" command. And neutron-l3-agent can rebuild the namespace and ports at
startup. I made up a workaround based on it in OpenStack Neutron in [4].

    I want to check with developers in OpenvSwitch if this is a bug, so I
bring it out here.

Thanks

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1519926
[2] http://paste.openstack.org/show/481028/
[3] ovs-vsctl --timeout=10 --oneline --format=json -- --if-exists del-port
qr-a0d7b12a-93 -- add-port br-int qr-a0d7b12a-93 -- set Interface
qr-a0d7b12a-93 type=internal
external_ids:iface-id=a0d7b12a-9337-45bd-bb5e-bb543337c369
external_ids:iface-status=active
external_ids:attached-mac=fa:16:3e:25:60:79
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/254579/