[ovs-discuss] TSO not working for VM iperf data packets.

Jesse Gross jesse at kernel.org
Fri Dec 18 20:37:52 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Piyush R Srivastava1 <pirsriva at in.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jesse,
>
> Yeah that was the tcpdump for ingress port.
> Kindly find the tcpdump for egress port in namespace as well-
>

> [root at rhel7-23 ~]# ip netns exec
> qrouter-223d91ae-3025-4070-83d0-63faa58d819b tcpdump -ennqi qg-ab10ec1d-2b
> -c 30 host 1.1.1.34
> tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
> listening on qg-ab10ec1d-2b, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size
> 65535 bytes

 This has the same name as the interface as you showed before, so I'm not
sure which is right. However, I would look at each interface in the path
and try to pinpoint where TSO stops occurring. There's not much more that I
can suggest.

> Both the egress port of Namespace and physical NIC for external network
> (eth1) are mapped to BR-EX, however, BR-EX has 1500 MTU.
> Do you think that is affecting, even with TSO ON for eth1?

The MTU should not matter if TSO is set. However, TSO needs to be set on
all interfaces, not just the egress Ethernet interface.