[ovs-discuss] OVS with Distributed Data Plane

Toth, Andrew Andrew.Toth at stratus.com
Tue Dec 22 21:01:10 UTC 2015

Thanks for the reply.

Regrettably OVN will not fit our situation. In the NFV world today, there is a push to separate the fast path data plane processing from the slower path configuration control processing. The common understanding is to put the data path processing on its own processor as a separate process (possibly multiple data plane processes on multiple processors) with cached data (flows in the emc in the case of OVS) and communicate back to the control plane data store when the required information is not in the cache. For our current project we need an open source VNF that is decomposed in this way. I just want to ensure that this separation is not already being done by the OVS community before we go through the task of separating OVS into these two components for our scenario.

Any other guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help,
-A