[ovs-discuss] How to send packets from a Linux process to OVS

Allan Lue ALue at federatedwireless.com
Thu Dec 24 08:22:12 UTC 2015

Hi,

I need to have a Linux process (not VM) send packets to OVS. I have googled many times without finding info
that can help me.

Use an example,

The are 3 processes (not VMs) P1, P2 and P3, I would like them to send to OVS interfaces vnet1, vnet2, vnet3 respectively.
I am wondering what system calls I should use do the packet transmit.

When I use a Virtualbox VM to ping the OVS, it seems to call (based on kernel stack trace) sendmsg(). If that’s the case,
the question is what parameters should be passed in sendmsg() and how to figure that out.

If it’s not sendmsg(), what should be used?

Any help will be appreciated.

— Allan