[ovs-discuss] Basic network structure using OVS (Port not visible from VM )

Alula tesh amirphoto47 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 17:55:00 UTC 2015

I'm new to OVS and I'm trying to create a very basic network using VMs and
OVS as a switch. I'm running Virtualbox 4.3 on Ubuntu14.04.    generally I
want to create such structure, I assume finally I will be able to ping both
direction (from VM to host and vise-versa) and b.n VMs (Image attached)

​
​I have created the bridge then  the taps and add them to the bridge as
ports. here are the commands I have executed.
- ovs-vsctl add-br br0
- ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eth0
- ifconfig eth0 0
- ifconfig br0 up
- dhclient br0
- ip tuntap add mode tap vport1
- ip tuntap add mode tap vport2
- ifconfig vport1 up
- ifconfig vport2 up
- ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vport1 -- add-port br0 vport2

After this when I run ifconfig every thing is as expected (Br0 have an IP
vport1 and vport2 are visible but no IP). Also the "ovs-vsctl show" is as
expected.

Then in Virtual box I have two VMs (both ubuntu 14.04), in the network
setting, I have chosen "Bridged Adapter" and as an interface vport1 and
vport2 for VM1 and VM2 respectively.

But when I start the VMs they are not connected to anything, they don't
have IP or anything. Can anyone help me please where is the problem and
what should I do ?

thank you for the help in advance