[ovs-discuss] In flow entries should 'action' be set to normal for BFD control packets

Alex Wang alexw at nicira.com
Tue Feb 3 17:56:03 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Padma Jayasankar <padmajs80 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have to use BFD for failure detection and when i went through some
> examples the action field for the flow entries were set to 'Normal". Can't
> we use 'output' action. In that case i have to add two entries (one for
> each direction). Please claridy

The BFD implementation in OVS is mainly used for tunnel link failure
detection.  You need to have a tunnel port first and then can you enable
bfd on the tunnel port.  The BFD state machine in OVS will compose/send
control packets through the tunnel... No OpenFlow rules are involved...

We currently do not support multi-hop bfd.

However, at this time, it is still unclear what kind of link
(tunnel/point-to-point physical link) you want you monitor... maybe you
should clarify first,

Thanks,
Alex Wang,