[ovs-discuss] Open vSwitch STT support

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Tue Feb 3 18:19:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 01:34:07PM -0800, Pravin Shelar wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM, John W. Linville
> <linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 10:55:25AM -0800, Pravin Shelar wrote:
> >> STT patches were posted on netdev mailing list, But it was rejected.
> >> As policy datapath patches must be accepted first in upstream kernel
> >> before ported to OVS repo. But considering STT is well known protocol,
> >> it is used in production and it can be useful for community, we can
> >> make exception for STT and maintain it in OVS repo.
> >> If anyone has objection to merging STT support let us know.
> >
> > What is preventing the upstream merge?
> >

> Here is link to netdev patch, you can have a look at the discussion.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=142257416618642&w=2

Thanks for doing that research for me! :-) You don't see any way to
work with Dave M. around his objections?

Violating an "upstream first" policy seems like you are making an "end
run" in hopes of eventually coming back to Dave M. with an argument
like "but people have been using this already".  I could be wrong,
but that probably won't make Dave any more happy about merging the
patchset in the future...

john