[ovs-discuss] ovs does not work when running mininet.

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed Feb 4 18:54:37 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 12:39:03AM +0800, ???? wrote:
> Hi all,
>      I use mininet to run some easy topo with loop, and my OVS version is 2.3.1.
>      I set OVS's OF version as 1.3, but several seconds ago, It just does not work at all. I use pingall to test it, but controller can't get anything, while no flow table in switch and ping failure.
>      I try to reset OVS's OF version as OF13. Sometimes I works, but sometimes does not.
>      Why?  BTW, if switch and controller's version is not matched, it seems like that OVS do not send the version error message to controller. It confuse me. It really works at OVS2.1.1.

I'm having trouble understanding this issue.  If the switch and
controller don't support a common OpenFlow version, then they won't
work together whether there's a version error message or not.  Do you
still see a problem even when the switch and controller do support the
same OpenFlow version?

Your description of the failure is vague.  "It just does not work at
all" does not help much.

I suggest that you set the maximum logging level on OVS for OpenFlow
connections, by invoking OVS with -vvconn, or by running "ovs-appctl
vlog/set vconn" while OVS is running, and then post what ovs-vswitchd
logs when you see the problem.