[ovs-discuss] In flow entries should 'action' be set to normal for BFD control packets

Alex Wang alexw at nicira.com
Mon Feb 9 17:01:54 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Padma Jayasankar <padmajs80 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>  I want to monitor the links that form a path between two hosts. when any
> of the link fails the source switch has to be intimated so that it can
> reroute the traffic through the next alive bucket. for this bfd session has
> to be established between the the source switch and destination
> switch(which are connected to the respective hosts).
>  Now i am able to enable bfd for those to switches using ovs-vsctl
> commands. i also added flow entries for BFD packets, in the switches that
> lie in the path.when a link fails in the path, bfd state of these switches
> is changes to 'down' and when the link is up again , it again changes to
> 'up'. So i thought it supports multi-hop. Is it not so? I am using OVS
> 2.1.1. Please clarify.

No, it does not support multi-hop.  If the intermediate switches just
forward
using flows and do not decrement the ttl, then, it could work but it is not
really
multi-hop.  When you have intermediate vendor routers, the ttl of the udp
packets will change.  In ovs bfd implementation, the received udp packet
must have TTL=255.

Thanks,
Alex Wang,