[ovs-discuss] 4 byte long port numbers

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Feb 13 16:37:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:26:14PM +0000, Eyal Nissim wrote:
> While openflow1.3 and up supports 4 byte long port numbers (see spec and OFPP_MAX)
> (I'm also referring to messages such as multi part port description, packet out etc...), I've found out lately that
> OVS and OVSDB support only 2 byte long port  numbers
>
> root at IP20C:/root> ovs-vsctl add-port IP20C-2 alpha -- set interface alpha type=internal ofport_request=268443713
> ovs-vsctl: constraint violation: 268443713 is not in the valid range 1 to 65279 (inclusive)
>
> even if I bypass ofport_request and use ofport directly, vswitch still doesn't accept 4 bytes for the port number
> Is there any intension to change ofport_request type to unsigned integer in the future?

OpenFlow 1.0 compatibility is the issue.  If you come up with a way to
make port numbers out of the 16-bit range compatible with OpenFlow 1.0,
we'd accept a patch to support a 32-bit range.  One acceptable way would
be to allow port numbers out of the 32-bit range only when OpenFlow 1.0
support is disabled.