[ovs-discuss] QinQ support

Thomas F Herbert thomasfherbert at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 14:50:16 UTC 2015

Dimitar,

802.1ad will separate client traffic from each other and from provider
traffic. Each level of VLAN tag will is 12 bits. So you could have 4096
provider VLANS and then within each of those provider VLANS you could
have 4094 "customer" or in your case client VLANs.

You can try our patch for 802.1ad but you will have to build OVS from
source.

As is the case with 802.1ad, openflow spec supports 802.1ah (PBB) but
OVS doesn't support it as yet.

There have been several contributions toward this goal. We at EntryPoint
hope to work on this as well after 802.1ad.

--Tom

On 1/6/15 3:01 PM, Dimitar Ianakiev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I will look at 802.1ah. Currently our architecture
> does not involve physical hardware as we do not have control over it. We
> were planning on using the provided private network from the data centre
> and separating the traffic of our clients inside this vlan. We just need
> to host more than 4094 vlans in such network. Does the openvswitch
> support 802.1ah?
>
> Regards
> Dimitar
>
> On 06/01/15 02:30, Thomas F Herbert wrote:
>> Dimitar,
>>
>> Open vSwitch does not currently support 802.1ad. I have submitted a
>> patch for 802.1ad and I am in the process of submitting a new version.
>> However, 802.1ad will not solve the namespace problem. Perhaps you are
>> thinking of 802.1ah?
>>
>> --Tom
>>
>> On 1/5/15 3:51 PM, Dimitar Ianakiev wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We are using openvswitch for some time and we are trying to implement
>>> "private vlans" for our customers. Each customer should have vlan(s)
>>> between his/her virtual instances. The problem with 802.1q vlans is that
>>> we are expecting more than 4094 clients per openvswitch instance and the
>>> vlan limit is 4096. We are considering QinQ(802.1ad).
>>>
>>> My question is if ovs supports QinQ and how this can be achieved ?
>>> Please propose other approach if this is not a good solution to the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Dimitar Ianakiev

Thomas F. Herbert