[ovs-discuss] How Rule insert works

Gopikrishnan gopi2101 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 18:34:06 UTC 2015

Hi,
I am a beginner to the OVS code.I am interested to implement the ofproto-provider.h for my hardware datapath.I am trying to understand the ofproto-dpif implementation and reuse some functionality.
Regarding the rule insert, my understanding from the code is,When a flow mod message is received,1. ofproto parses it and inserts the rule to its oftable datastructure.2. After that, it creates an ofopgroup and invokes the ofproto_class->rule_insert() to insert the rule.3. In ofproto-dpif, the need_revalidate reason flag is set to REV_FLOW_TABLE To signal the udpif_revalidator thread.
My Questions are,1. When will this rule insert to the datapath(dpif-linux/dpif-netdev) happens ?. I never see the rule insert happening immediately. Only when an upcall table miss happens, the rule is inserted to the datapath. 2. Is it possible to have an asynchronous rule insertion using the ofopgroup?    Is it a good idea to have an another thread("Async thread"), to process all this ofopgroup and do rule insert from another thread context ?3. Is there any possibility to insert a batch of rules to the datapath using a single API for faster operation ?4. I would also like to know some insights on udpif_revalidator and upcall handler. Is there any good documentation for the same ?
I would appreciate if someone can help me to clarify my doubts and it might be more useful for my work.
Thanks and Regards,Gopi