[ovs-discuss] Does openvswitch support LACP with VM?

Jason Kölker jason at koelker.net
Wed Jan 14 08:43:48 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 7:58 AM, 心灵贩子 <464366985 at qq.com> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
>     I'm trying to research if the openvswitch could support LACP between
> VM.
>     My topo is:
>
>                                vSwitch
>             ---------------------------------
>                 |           |                   |
>                 |           |                   |
>                 |           |                   |
>              ------    ------          --------
>                VM1      VM2             VM3‍
>
>    I want to make bond with vm1 and vm2, then from vm3 ping the bond
> interface. Check if the request will be load balance to each VM1 and VM2.
>    Right now, when I make bond with vm1 and vm2, and from vm3 ping the
> bond interface, each port on vm1 and vm2 received the same ping request and
> reply the response. So that there will be a duplicate package send to vm3.
> That is not my wish.
>    As my understanding, the port of vm1 and vm2 should negotiation with
> vSwitch port to make bond. But right now, the port of vm1 and vm2 are
> negotiation by themself.
>
> Could anyone tell me how to enable the bond between the VMs?

Ovs can LB between the vm's using the bundle action. Assuming VM1, VM2, and
VM3 correspond to ofports 1, 2, and 3 respectively:

in_port=3,actions=bundle(symmetric_l4, 0, hrw, ofport, slaves:[1,2])

Will distribute the traffic between VM1 and VM2 based on the L4 tuple.

I don't know of a way to do this with LACP controlling the link state.

Happy Hacking!

7-11