[ovs-discuss] openstack ovs performance issues

干活了 56708313 at qq.com
Thu Jul 9 02:35:21 UTC 2015

Hello!

Surroundings:
Compute nodes: DELL _R720
CPU: E5-2640v2 * 2 (32-core)
MEM: 16G * 24
Disk: 2 * 600G SAS (Raid1) + 6 * 4T (Raid5) SATA
NIC: 1G * 2 + 10G * 2 (Intel 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFI / SFP +

Network test is divided into two groups of test, a test is done HelloWorld, and the other is PhoInfo do. When using PhoInfo test, the difference between virtual and physical machines is not large, but when using HelloWorld test, the difference is very obvious, the virtual machine is only about 1/4 of a physical machine. Our analysis of the causes, because the HelloWorld page is very small, the testing process is equivalent to generating a lot of small packets, PhpInfo opposite page a lot, so that data packets generated relatively large. When tested in the packet, the network bottleneck in the PPS, we have repeatedly tested, the performance of the virtual machine software bridge can only reach about 5wPPS, this time OpenVswitch has reached the limit, and ordinary physical NIC determined to reach 200wPPS.
OVS really packet forwarding is much PPS? When IO-intensive data traffic onto smaller, will not lead to OVS to hang? Packet forwarding delay would likely increase?

thank you!