[ovs-discuss] One NIC -- one bridge only?

Abhishek Verma abhishekv.verma at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 10:47:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am running OVS inside a VM. I have only one virtual NIC from which i can
receive traffic. I was trying to do something wherein i create different
GRE tunnels terminating at different VMs based on the result of some
classification done on the incoming packets. You can imagine that i have
packets belonging to different sessions that need to be identified and sent
to a different GRE tunnel.

Given that i have only one NIC from which i can receive packets, i can only
create one bridge right? I say this because its only the bridge in which i
have added this virtual NIC that i will be able to receive packets. I need
to do whatever classification i want inside this bridge and send packets
out on different GRE tunnel ports.

I will however have to be very careful in doing this since all traffic by
default will be flooded to all ports of the bridge. And hence, if i am not
very careful with my flow rules, then i will leak traffic from one session
to the other.

Is my understanding correct here?

Ideally i would like to create a different bridge per session so that
traffic can be isolated. Any ideas on how i can achieve this?

Thanks, Abhishek