[ovs-discuss] ovs-dpdk performance is not good

gowrishankar gowrishankar.m at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 15 07:37:32 UTC 2015

Hi Kevin,

On Tuesday 14 July 2015 05:55 PM, Traynor, Kevin wrote:

> [kt] I would check your core affinitization to ensure that the vswitchd
>
> pmd is on a separate core to the vCPUs (set with
> other_config:pmd-cpu-mask).

I hope you mean host CPUs. Is that right ?

> Also, this test is not using the DPDK vitrio PMD in the guest which
> provides
>
> performance gains.

In the above topology, VM1-VM2 communication happens within same host.
So, would that still require dpdk virtio pmd ? But, VM1 has to also
communicate
with VM3 (in remote host). How can we address flow rules related to VM1
for both
the cases ?

I'm also trying to understand if dpdk virtio pmd can support overlay
tunnel ?
Currently, in test, I made use of ovs integration bridge to connect
vhost-user netdev
and vxlan port, and then through external ovs bridge connecting dpdk0
port.  Would
that not be required incase of virtio pmd driver case ?

Appreciating your help to more understand on this perf problem.

Regards,
Gowrishankar