[ovs-discuss] GRE tunnel

Lori Jakab lojakab at cisco.com
Thu Jul 16 10:08:11 UTC 2015

Hi Dave,

On 7/16/15 8:44 AM, Dave Waters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using OVS to send traffic over GRE tunnels. While it works, the
> data is sent out with the L2 headers. Is it possible for us to send
> data inside the GRE header without the L2 header.
>
> So basically i am looking at a packet going out of my OVS like this.
>
> +---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | L2 hdr | IP Hdr | GRE Header | Inner Payload starting from the IP
> header |

I have been working on adding layer 3 flow/packet support in general to
OVS and specifically for LISP tunneling, and based on my work Thomas
Morin (CC) created some patches for GRE. They have not been merged yet,
since I haven't had time to keep up with current developments and get
the kernel part ported to net-next. I will eventually get to it. In the
meantime, you may be able to use Thomas' tree from Github:
https://github.com/tmmorin/openvswitch/tree/grempls_fromloriv9-20150619

HTH,
-Lori