[ovs-discuss] ovs-vsctl output question

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 18:35:04 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> If you are using vxlan then I think tunnels between your compute, network etc
> nodes would be of type vxlan. Vlan on br-int is used only for tenant
> isolation.
>
> On 31 May 2015 11:14, Shaival J Chokshi <schokshi at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a question about ovs-vsctl output on br-int bridge. We are using
> > OVS-vxlan in open stack. My question is why do I see tag (VLAN tag?) in
> > ovs-vsctl output when I am using vxlan for my overlay networks.
> > Also, what concerns me is the tag 4095? This tag shouldn't be used unless
> > it is used for some local / management traffic.

As pointed out above, when using OpenStack Neutron with ML2 and OVS, br-int
will have VLAN tags to provide segmentation of networks on the local hypervisor,
so that VMs on different networks (And possibly different tenants) will not be
able to communicate without being explicitly connected via a Neutron router.

That being said, the VLAN tag of 4095 is an error VLAN. This means that Neutron
failed to bind the port, and is usually indicative of a configuration issue.
This probably has nothing to do with OVS and I would advise you to ask this
question on ask.openstack.org, with all of the Neutron configuration files
attached.