[ovs-discuss] How to connect to physical hosts with OVS and VLAN tags

Dave Johnston Dave.Johnston at owmobility.com
Thu Jul 23 11:08:15 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm attempting to test a workload over OVS.
Currently I can run the workload without OVS, with the following network configuration:

Host1:
eth1.1000 (192.168.0.10) => eth1

Host2:
eth1.1000 (192.168.0.20) => eth1

Both hosts have an interface configured to perform VLAN tagging.  From host1 I can ping 192.168.0.20 and visa versa.

I tried to setup an OVS bridge on host2, so I removed eth1.1000 and did the following:

# Create the bridge
ovs-vsctl add-br br-eth1

# Add the port
ovs-vsctl add-port eth1

# Create a veth pair
ip link add veth0 type veth peer name veth1

# Plug veth1 into the switch
ovs-vsctl add-port veth1

# Configure IP on veth0
ifconfig veth0 192.168.0.20

# Add tagging to the port
ovs-vsctl set port veth1 tag=1000

Running:
ping -I veth0 192.168.0.10 shows the destination is unavailable.

Any suggestions on whats wrong here?  How can I configure the setup?

Thanks