[ovs-discuss] Renaming ovs patch port inside namespace issues

Subrahmanyam Ongole songole at oneconvergence.com
Fri Jul 24 01:49:01 UTC 2015

Hi

I am connecting two namespaces using OVS patch ports as described in
http://www.opencloudblog.com/?p=66. Reproduced the code below for quick
reference.

# add the namespaces
ip netns add ns1
ip netns add ns2
# create the switch
BRIDGE=ovs-test
ovs-vsctl add-br $BRIDGE
#
#### PORT 1
# create an internal ovs port
ovs-vsctl add-port $BRIDGE tap1 -- set Interface tap1 type=internal
# attach it to namespace
ip link set tap1 netns ns1
# set the ports to up
*# (1) *
ip netns exec ns1 ip link set dev tap1 up
#
#### PORT 2
# create an internal ovs port
ovs-vsctl add-port $BRIDGE tap2 -- set Interface tap2 type=internal
# attach it to namespace
ip link set tap2 netns ns2
# set the ports to up
ip netns exec ns2 ip link set dev tap2 up
*# (2)*

I am using ovs 2.3.2. The above code works. However, I like to rename the
ports to eth0 inside (both) the namespaces.

a) If I rename after both the ports are created and attached to respective
name spaces, there are no issues. This is after *# (2)* above.

b) If I rename tap1 (as eth0) before tap2 is created, at* # (1)* above,
eth0 (ie tap1) goes away from the namespace ns1, as soon as tap2 is
created. I see the following message

"device eth0 left promiscuous mode"
"device tap1 left promiscuous mode"
I am using the following command to rename

ip netns exec ns1 ip link set dev tap1 name eth0 up

I couldn't find any related posts. Appreciate your help
​. ​

​Thanks​

--

Thanks