[ovs-discuss] packets getting dropped at egress

Dave Waters davewaters1970 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:56:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am unable to increase the MTU of the bridge port (the internal port) to
be anything more than 1500. While i am able to reduce it, i am not able to
increase it.

The reason i want to increase the MTU of the internal port is because i am
encapsulating all packets that i recieve on eth1 inside VXLAN which
increase the packet size. If i recieve a 1500 byte packet on eth1, then i
am dropping the packets since the size goes beyond the MTU of the bridge
after i put in VXLAN encapsulation.

root at ubuntu:/home/dw# ovs-vsctl show
b69c9516-a7dd-445c-a82d-8fb704e587a3
    Bridge "br0"
        Port "gre0"
            Interface "vxlanIp"
                type: vxlan
        Port "eth1"
            Interface "eth1"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal
        Port "eth0"
            Interface "eth0"
    ovs_version: "2.0.2"
root at ubuntu:/home/dw#

root at ubuntu:/home/dw# ifconfig br0 mtu 1600

root at ubuntu:/home/dw# ifconfig br0
br0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:90:0b:35:e4:36
          inet addr:192.16.10.147  Bcast:192.168.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::dc88:f5ff:feef:ef9b/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
[clipped]

root at ubuntu:/home/dw#

Dave