[ovs-discuss] OpenStack -- Add a Layer2 Device between two VMs

Nasir Mahmood nasir.mahmood at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:49:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm looking for an external Layer2 Device integration within the OpenStack.
This Layer2 device can have only 2 physical cable 1 for input and 1 for
output to enable a network interception and then blocking the traffic based
on the analysis.

The whole of the OpenStack setup is comprised of 3 VMs itself. Controller +
Compute1 + Network. so far the instances are able to do what I'm looking
for but without network interception by my physical board.

Here is the pic.

VM --> Layer2 Device --> VM2 +VM3

This Layer2 device has to be physically connected which I have achieved by
exposing the two port net work card to compute node and then adding it a
new bridge so that the traffic should pass through it solely.

PS. I can't assign IP addresses to my Layer2 Device's network ports. its a
dumb device.

Any idea how I can create a new bridge and then embed the external device
on it .

OR

Is it possible to send the Layer2 over IP to a Cisco Switch's 2 ports so
that I can send and recieve data from there in a mode which should enable
 network blocking by an external device.

PS. I can't assign IP addresses to my Layer2 Device's network ports. its a
dumb device.

Regards,

--
Nasir Mahmood