[ovs-discuss] "Too many open files" leads to "Segmentation fault"

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Sat Jun 6 05:21:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 03:55:47PM +0200, ferran wrote:
> Well then, do you think that it's normal to reach the limit of open
> files under these conditions?
> Is there any way to limit this so it doesn't crash?
> And who is openning this file, here?

OVS file usage should be pretty stable under normal conditions; that is,
I would not expect it to open an increasing number of files over time.
The exception is if you add more and more ports or bridges over time,
since each port or bridge requires OVS to use more file descriptors.

When you see this, can you take a look at the files that OVS has open?
e.g. "ls -l /proc/$pid/fd" where $pid is the OVS process ID?  It would
also be a good idea to try this with a more recent version of OVS.