[ovs-discuss] Fwd: Support for arp requests with bonding

aravind C nagaravind at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:27:40 UTC 2015

Hi,
I am using the following setup to test interface bonding with OVS.

VM1         |       VM2

(10.10.10.2/16)     (10.10.10.3/16)
    eth1 ========== eth1
   /                                 \
  /                                   \
bond0                              bond0
  \                                   /
   \                                 /
    eth2 ========== eth2
(10.10.20.2/16)     (10.10.20.3/16)

I can see that -
1. lacp status is negotiated
2. On both VMs initially eth1 is enabled and eth2 is the active slave

Is my assumption wrong that I should be able to ping either of the
bonded interfaces in VM2 from VM1?
- ping shows that the currently active interface is used to send out requests.
- tcpdump shows that the arp requests are received by the active
interface in VM2. No reply is generated.

Can anyone please explain what is wrong in my
configuration/expectation that arp request should generate a response
in this configuration?

Thanks,
Nagaravind