[ovs-discuss] How to convert a trunk port to an access port?

Stefan Kooman stefan at bit.nl
Wed Jun 17 05:38:32 UTC 2015

Quoting Ben Pfaff (blp at nicira.com):
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 11:43:17PM +0200, Stefan Kooman wrote:
-- snip--
>>How can one convert a trunk port to an "access port"
>
> ovs-vsctl set port tap0 tag=9 -- clear port tap0 trunks

Thanks, this works like a charm.

I would like to understand what functionality a mixed "tagged" and
"trunk" port provide? As far as I can see (tcpdump) the traffic bound for the
vnet (tap port) never reaches it's destination anymore after being
tagged (although being a trunk port as well). Shouldn't these modes be mutually
exclusive? I'm running an experimental "nested" virtualization solution:

hypervisor config (L0):

Port "vnet6"
            tag: 226
            trunks: [226, 227]
            Interface "vnet6"

guest hypervisor config (L1):

Bridge uplink
        Port uplink
            Interface uplink
                type: internal
        Port "eth1"
            trunks: [226, 227]
            Interface "eth1"
        Port "vnet0"
            tag: 226
            Interface "vnet0"

So, eth1 here (L1) is actually vnet6 on hypervisor (L0). If vnet6 (L0) has both
trunk and tag the traffic never reaches eth1 (L1) anymore (and of course also
not vnet0: guest vm (L2)).

What I would expect (but does not seem to happen) is to see traffic with vlan tag "226"
be both passed tagged as wel as untagged for vnet6 (L0).

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Stefan Kooman