[ovs-discuss] Running into MTU problem (2 extra bytes)

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Wed Jun 24 22:16:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Johnson L. Wu <johnson at snoopy.org> wrote:
> Thanks Jesse,
>
> This is plain vanilla when all MTU left at default.  Dmesg showing
> [  752.962014] openvswitch: vnet5: dropped over-mtu packet: 1502 > 1500
> [  752.962027] openvswitch: inter-1tom: dropped over-mtu packet: 1502 > 1500

Hmm, thanks. All of this seems pretty normal looking. Here's another
thing to try if you can: I think that you are probably running the
kernel module that is part of the upstream kernel in Debian. Since
this problem appears to be isolated to Debian, maybe somehow there is
an issue in the version of the OVS kernel module that they picked up.
Can you try compiling and installing the module that is packaged with
OVS 2.3? I guess either than will fix the issue (as it has been out a
while and nobody has reported a problem) or the issue is somewhere
else in the stack and it will continue even if you swap out OVS for
the Linux bridge.