[ovs-discuss] [dpdk-ovs] dpdk pmd threads use only one numa node

차은호 eunho.cha at atto-research.com
Thu Jun 25 08:30:40 UTC 2015

Hello.

I am trying to build VM to VM scheme using ovs (git branch-2.4) and DPDK
2.0.0.

I start ovs-vswitchd like this.

# ovs-vswitchd --dpdk -cuse_dev_name my-vhost-net -c 0x401 -n 4
--socket-mem 1024,1024 -- unix:$DB_SOCK --pidfile --detach

and for increase pmd threads, I use following command. (This system has 2
numa nodes and each node has 10 cores.)

# ovs-vsctl set Open_vSwitch . other_config:pmd-cpu-mask=401

but pmd threads are created only on numa node 0. pmd threads are not
created on numa node 1.

So. I test bandwidth rate VM to VM.
VM1, VM2 are on numa node 0
VM3, VM4 are on numa node 1

bandwidth between VM1 to VM2 is about 10Gbps.
but bandwidth between VM3 to VM4 is about 6Gbps.

I think that pmd threads are created on numa node 1, bandwidth between VM3
to VM4 is up to 10Gbps.

Why does pmd threads use only numa node 0?
How can I use pmd threads on all numa nodes?

Thanks,
Cha.