[ovs-discuss] Link Bandwidth not effective with UserSwitch

Sumit Paliwal pg201372016 at iitj.ac.in
Mon Mar 2 13:38:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've created a topology including three UserSwitch (Reference Switches) and
assigned a bandwidth of 500 Mb/s, but when i'm using iperf to check the
bandwidth, it shows 385 kb/s only.

So can anyone help me out here with this.

And when i'm using the OVSSwitch, with iperf it shows the bandwidth of 392
Mb/s.

My n/w topology is as given below:-

#!/usr/bin/env python

from mininet.net  import Mininet
from mininet.node import RemoteController,UserSwitch
from mininet.link import TCLink
from mininet.cli  import CLI
from mininet.util import quietRun
from mininet.log import setLogLevel, info

net = Mininet(link=TCLink,listenPort=6634);

# Add hosts and switches
Host1  = net.addHost('h1')
Host2  = net.addHost('h2')
Host3  = net.addHost('h3')
Switch1 = net.addSwitch('s1',cls=UserSwitch)
Switch2 = net.addSwitch('s2',cls=UserSwitch)
Switch3 = net.addSwitch('s3',cls=UserSwitch)

linkopts = dict(bw=500)
net.addLink(Host1,   Switch1,    **linkopts )
net.addLink(Switch1,  Switch2,    **linkopts )
net.addLink(Switch2,  Switch3,    **linkopts )
net.addLink(Host2,   Switch2,    **linkopts )
net.addLink(Host3,   Switch3,    **linkopts )

net.addController('c1')
net.build()
net.start()

# CLI
CLI( net )

# Clean up
net.stop()

The results of command iperf h1 h3 is 385 kb/s
where the expected result should have been around 490 Mb/s

Kindly let me know, is there anything wrong with the code or it's just that
the bandwidth parameter doesn't work with UserSwitch.

Thanks & Regards,

--
Sumit Paliwal
M.Tech. ICT,