[ovs-discuss] building openvswitch with user-mode-linux

david jhon djhon9813 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:18:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am using this
<https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/virtual/uml/UserModeLinux-HOWTO.txt>
article to understand debugging a module with user-mode-linux. I am using
ovs-dev.py to setup openvswitch on my machine but it does not seem to work
with ARCH=um as it displays the help message when appending ARCH=um with
conf make command.

Moreover, In UML, I can see openvswitch.ko file in
/lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic/kernel/net/openvswitch/openvswitch.ko,
/sys/module/openvswitch/sections there but still I can't modprobe any
module as it fails with the following error:

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:556 kmod_search_moddep() could not
open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.13.0-rc7/modules.dep.bin'

After going through a few more articles, I came to know that I'll have to
write a makefile to load module inside user-mode-linux this way:

obj-m    := hello.o

KDIR    := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD    := $(shell pwd)

default:
    $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules

After going through many articles and trying different ways I am still
not able to get it work.

Sorry for posting a noob question on the list, I'll be really thankful for any

guideline/recommendation or help in this regard. Thank you!

Kind Regards,