[ovs-discuss] Traffic loop problem, when a controller is setted

MIGNINI FABIO d037918 at polito.it
Tue Mar 17 17:57:58 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have noticed an unexpected generation of traffic loop
using a very simple configuration of KVM and OVS.
In particular the configuration that trigger the problem
is the one listed below:

    +-----------------+
    | Virtual machine |
    +----+-------+----+
         |       |
  +------+-------+------+
  |                     |
  |     OVS Bridge      |
  +---------------------+

The OVS Bridge has two ports that are connected to the
virtual machine. Within the virtual machine there is a
linux bridge that bridges both the vm's interfaces.
I found the problem with two different configuration of
the bridge:
	- setting an existing OF controller (OpenDaylight)
         - setting a fake address for the OF controller (a
not reachable IP address)

This is the output of the 'ovs-vsctl show' command (I
provide here only the second configuration, as you can see
the controller is not connected):

root at controller:~# ovs-vsctl show
82f530a0-269e-4eb4-b71a-dedc9f26ccd9
     Bridge br-int
         Controller "tcp:192.168.5.3:6633"
         Port br-int
             Interface br-int
                 type: internal
         Port "vnet1"
             Interface "vnet1"
         Port "vnet0"
             Interface "vnet0"
     ovs_version: "2.3.1"

The only flow in the OVS bridge "br-int" is a DROP flow,
without any match (inserted manually before the starting
of the virtual machine).
This is the output of the 'ovs-ofctl dump-flows br-int'
command:

root at controller:~# ovs-ofctl dump-flows br-int
NXST_FLOW reply (xid=0x4):
  cookie=0x0, duration=232.952s, table=0, n_packets=0,
n_bytes=0, idle_age=232, priority=1 actions=drop

With this configuration I was expecting that all the
traffic will be dropped by the OVS Bridge (as happens when
no controller is setted).
Instead a traffic loop is generated between the two ports
in the bridge.
It seems that the DROP flow rule is not working as
expected.

Any suggestion?