[ovs-discuss] GRE tunnel in OVS

Simon Jouet simon.jouet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:51:24 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

So a colleague and I are trying to setup an experiment with GRE tunnels and
unfortunately we are unable to get everything working the way we want ...

We have three machines with two NICs each (we keep one for SSH) we have
installed OpenvSwitch 2.3.2 in the three of them, attached one of the two
NIC to OVS and ifconfig the ovs interface to have the IP of NIC. At this
point we have three hosts each with an *ovsbr0 *bridge and the IPs
192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3.

What we want to is to redirect all the traffic from 192.168.0.1 to
192.168.0.3 through 192.168.0.2, we have established a GRE tunnel between
1->2 and 2->3. On 192.168.0.1 I can quite easily send all the traffic over
the GRE tunnel and can see it on 192.168.0.2, however this is where I run
into problems.

I'm trying to decapsulate it (remove the GRE header) to send it on the gre
tunnel from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.3. If I send it directly I get a GRE
packet within a GRE packet which doesn't work ... I also have tried on
192.168.0.2 to match incomming packet with a tunnel id of 0xa (this is the
some suggestions on how to solve the problem if possible ?

Let me know if something is unclear and I will try to go into bit more
details.

Best regards,
Simon