[ovs-discuss] Can not see GRE/VXLAN encapsulation

Mitalee Sarker mitsarker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 21:44:10 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am working with openvswitch to analyze the performance of GRE and VXLAN
tunnel. I have two host machines with Ubuntu 14.04 installed. Each host
machine has 1 Virutal Machine. The host machines are connected via one 1GbE
switch.
I installed openvswitch version 2.0.2 from the repository of Ubuntu 14.04.
I created one virtual machine via KVM.

I followed this document to implement GRE and VXALN.
http://networkstatic.net/configuring-vxlan-and-gre-tunnels-on-openvswitch/

I kept my bridge in NORMAL mode. And I did not enable any flow.
I created one port in openvswitch and tried to connect the Virtual Machine
to that port. But I was not successful. The port did not show up in the NIC
options in the Virtual Machine. So I created one virtual network by using
virtual machine manager and configured it such a way that it can forward
the packets to the bridge br1. I then connected the Virtual Machine NIC to
that virtual network.

The virtual machines have private IP addresses and the hosts have public IP
addresses.

For better understanding I gave my implementation below:

ovs-vsctl add-br br1
ovs-vsctl add-port br1 gre1 -- set interface gre1 type=gre options:remote_ip
=(ip address of other host machine)

I was able to ping the host from the virtual machine.Unfortunately, I was
not able to ping the virtual machine in the other host. Also, if I ping the
host from the other host, I did not see any GRE/VXLAN encapsulaiton in the
packet. So, the traffic is not forwarded to the tunnel I guess.

Could you please suggest any solution to this problem so that the traffic
can go via the tunnel? And also the Virtual Machines can ping each other
via the tunnel?

Thanking you
Mitalee Sarker