[ovs-discuss] Performance of OVS switch

Radhakrishnan, Sharmila sharmila.radhakrishnan at intel.com
Fri Mar 20 13:02:48 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I wanted to understand, what is the maximum performance you can get with OVS switch.

I have connected 2 VMs to an OVS switch using Tap interface which are on the same network. When I sent packets(using PcktGen application) from 1 VM to another, I get very low performance.

For 64byte packet size, the throughput is ~5Mbps, 128B packet size it is 9Mbps and 254b packet size it is 16Mbps.

What is the maximum throughput that can be achieved with an OVS switch.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sharmila