[ovs-discuss] seeking help

Sanghamitra De sanghamitra.de at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 07:31:32 UTC 2015

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I made the installation by the following commands:

sudo mkdir /work
sudo chown `whoami` /work
cd /work

## Download, configure, compile, and install Open vSwitch.
wget http://openvswitch.org/releases/openvswitch-2.3.0.tar.gz
tar zxf openvswitch-2.3.0.tar.gz
cd openvswitch-2.3.0
./configure
make
sudo make install

sudo /sbin/modprobe openvswitch

/sbin/lsmod

## Clean up.
cd /
sudo rm -rf /work

## Logout, used Emulab web interface to make a disk *image*. Then loaded
that image to the nodes where i wanted OVS to be loaded.

Then the following commands were given:

#ovsdb-tool create /usr/local/etc/openvswitch/conf.db
/users/peertest/openvswitch-2.3.0/vswitchd/vswitch.ovsschema

# ovsdb-server --remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock \

                 --remote=db:Open_vSwitch,Open_vSwitch,manager_options \

                 --pidfile --detach

 # ovs-vsctl --no-wait init

sudo ovs-vswitchd --pidfile --detach --log-file

Then logged into a node which has OVS installed in the above way and gave:

sudo ifconfig eth1 0

sudo ifconfig eth2 0

#ovs-vsctl add-br br-int

sudo ovs-vsctl add-br OVSbr1

sudo ovs-vsctl add-br OVSbr2

Last 3 lines give error so to see the log file:

cat /var/log/openvswitch/ovs-vswitchd.log

Am I missing out something vital in the command? If so then Please let
me know what will be the correct sequence of commands.

I'm trying to do a couple of experiments by using a few nodes in
Emulab. Of these 3 nodes will act as switches- so i am using the
*image *(mentioned earlier) to install OVS in them. The nodes will
talk to each other and switches will do the routing.  And here i am
stuck with the OVS install. Next i got to write the controller.. Can
you help me get the installation right?

Thanks & Regards

Sanghamitra De