[ovs-discuss] Crash in openvswitch 2.0.2

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Mon May 11 07:23:32 UTC 2015

Hi Joe

On 09/05/15 00:00, Joe Stringer wrote:
> I wonder if this patch fixes the issue:
> https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/546953509095cec6fad42663b659
171618b765d2

>  Note that the last three lines within the bad_key_len /
> bad_mask_len conditional statement are the following:
>
> format_generic_odp_key(ma, ds); ds_put_char(ds, ')'); return;
>
> This is the same logic as the end of the function, where the
> backtrace is reporting the callstack to be. Jarno pointed out that
> the compiler could optimize out the first copy of this code to turn
> into a jump instruction which jumps inside the if (!is_exact)
> statement. Hence the backtrace shows this confusing callstack.
>
> Note that this problem would only present itself if there is: A) A
> mismatch between a newer kernel version and an older userspace
> (OVS<2.3), where B) The kernel has a new flow match field available
> which ovs-vswitchd doesn't understand, and C) A flow_del command
> fails for some reason.
>
> It would be great if we could confirm by getting the existing build
> of OVS and applying the patch above.

Actually that's really interesting - once I actually managed to get
the unoptimized build sorted out correctly, we hit this particular
issue in our test OpenStack cloud within a couple of days - I picked
the commit you detailed above into the PPA at that point in time, and
we've not seen a crash since.

I'd assumed it was something new - but your analysis would point to
the source of the problem.

Marco - have you seen any recurrence of this issue with the PPA packages
?

I'll get this picked and uploaded as a stable update today.

Cheers

James

- --
James Page