[ovs-discuss] Linux GRE ports don't show up in ovs-ofctl

Manik Sidana maniksidana019 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 05:14:05 UTC 2015

Thanks for your reply Jesse.

>>You created an L3 tunnel but OVS is an Ethernet switch, so it doesn't
>>know how to send traffic over it
OVS can work on L2/L3/L4, then why it doesn't knows how to send
traffic over it ?
Do you mean that the tunnels created using OVS are L2 tunnels ? I
understand that when we create tunnels using OVS, we specify remote
and local IPs. Aren't these L3 tunnels.

>>It is better to create tunnels
>>directly through OVS than using the ip command as it is more scalable
>>and less error prone. There are a number of tutorials on how to do
>>this floating around.

I'll have a look at it.

I came across the below link while googling
http://t32940.network-openvswitch-development.opennetworks.info/openswitch-and-gre-kernel-module-t32940.html
The link says that OVS GRE tunnels support Ethernet encapsulation. But
again, we give remote and local IP information in OVS GRE tunnels, so
aren't these IP encapsulated tunnels.

I am new to tunneling so some of my questions might sound silly. But,
I'd be glad if you can give me some pointers.

Thanks