[ovs-discuss] QoS question: ovs- QoS configuration and linux-QoS

Hardik Soni hardik.soni at inria.fr
Fri May 22 14:52:09 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I went through QoS section of FAQ.
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/FAQ.md#quality-of-service-qos

As I understood, OVS doesnt implement QoS, It configures linux-QoS for the interfaces it is handling.
If I set linux QoS using 'tc' for a given interface and attach the interface to an OVS bridge using add-port command ovs-vsctl, will it retain the configuration?
I want to make sure, OVS doesnt reset my pre-set linux-QoS for the interface it is handling.

Example.
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root tbf rate 0.5mbit burst 5kb latency 70ms peakrate 1mbit minburst 1540
creating a bridge br-0
ovs-vsctl add-port br-0 eth0

Now, eth0 will retain the QoS set by tc. Am I right?

Thanks,
Hardik Soni