[ovs-discuss] Connect OVS to a VM

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue May 26 20:17:01 UTC 2015

> On May 26, 2015, at 3:11 AM, Silvia Fichera <fichera.sil at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> maybe mine is a silly question but it's getting me crazy!
> My university gave me five VMs in a server to make some experiments with OpenStack+OpendayLight.
> So I have:
> vm1 -> ODL Controller
> vm2 -> OpenStack Controller
> vm3 / vm4 -> Compute nodes
> vm5 -> OVS
>
> TO configure my environment I've followed the ODL's wiki about VTN, but I still do not understand how to attach the VMs that represent the compute nodes  to the switch.
>  I have already set the Controller ODL (in fact with 'sudo ovs-vsctl get-controller bridge' I can see the IP address and the port of my controller). My problem remains how to connect my hosts  that are VM to the OVS.
>
> If you need more clarification about the environment, please ask.

You'll need to get interfaces from v3 and v4 into vm5.  Once you have that, you just need to use "ovs-vsctl add-port" to make them work with OVS.  I don't know enough about your environment to know how you'll plumb those compute nodes' interfaces into the VM, since it is going to be platform-dependent.  Normally, the OVS would be running in the hypervisor, which would then have access to the VMs' VIFs directly.

--Justin