[ovs-discuss] Architecture Open vSwitch with DPDK

Kury Nicolas nicolas.kury at master.hes-so.ch
Wed Nov 25 08:30:37 UTC 2015

Hi

Thank your very much for the answer! I have also read and watched some presentation about OVS and now I understand better.

I have found a presentation about OVS-DPDK and there are some points I'm not sure to understand. Screenshot: http://s29.postimg.org/ig8us188n/ovs_dpdk.png
- The elements "ovs kernel module" and "kernel packet processing" and only used by dpif-linux, right ?
- The element "User Space Forwarding", is it dpif-netdev ?

____

In the PORTING.md section of OVS,  I have some difficulties to understand the interation between a netdev provider and a dpif provider. Which one carries the packet, first ? The netdev provider or the dpif provider ?

- With OVS-DPDK, I guess netdev-dpdk is the first element to receive the packet and transmits it to the dpif-netdev (userspace), right ? Then dpif-netdev check the rules in the flow table and if they match, execute the action, and transmits it back to netdev-dpdk ?

- So... in OVS generic without DPDK,  does the netdev-linux receive the packet first and transmit it to the dpif-netlink ? Then dpif-netlink transmits it to the datapath in kernel ? I think I'm wrong.

Thank you!
Nicolas