[ovs-discuss] Open vSwitch running on DPDK

Fischetti, Antonio antonio.fischetti at intel.com
Tue Nov 10 13:50:39 UTC 2015

Hi,
Please find below my replies inline.

Yes, megaflows - i.e. wildcarded flows - are managed in User-Space.
Megaflows are collected in the Classifier Table, while microflows are
collected in the EMC table (= Exact Match Cache).
So both tables are now running in User Space.
You can find their implementations in OVS/lib/dpif-netdev.c.
All the functions like 'emc_insert()', 'emc_lookup()', 'emc_..' refer to the
microflow cache (EMC).
Instead the functions like 'dpcls_insert()', 'dpcls_lookup()', 'dpcls_..' refer
to the megaflow cache (Classifier).
If you like to see how a packet gets processed and 'bounced' by one table up
to the other, you could start from the function dp_netdev_process_rxq_port().
By following the function calls you will see the decoding, then the lookup
against the EMC. If that fails there's will be a lookup against the Classifier.
All these functions are in 'dpif-netdev.c'.
Hope that helps.
Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263

use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution by others is
sender and delete all copies.