[ovs-discuss] openvswich freebsd 10.1 release configuration error

Hassan Samii hassan_samii21 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 12 09:45:59 UTC 2015

Hi everyone, Firstly i'd like to thank everyone for the amazing work that your doing.
To my problem.I installed Open vSwitch on a FreeBSD 10.1 Release (which resides on a virtual machine working on Virtualbox). I used the Freshports to install openvswitch and the installation completed successfully. Now the problem is that if i do ovs-vsctl --version i get the following (which i suspect is good):

root at FreeBSDPrimo:~ # ovs-vsctl --version
ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) 2.3.2
Compiled Nov  4 2015 16:39:41
DB Schema 7.6.2
but if i use the command ovs-vsctl show i get the following (which is not good):
ovs-vsctl: unix:/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock: database connection failed (No such file or directory)

So then i thought that the configuration do the db was not set so i tried this and got the following error:

root at FreeBSDPrimo:~ # rm -f /var/db/openvswitch/conf.db
root at FreeBSDPrimo:~ # ovsdb-tool create /var/db/openvswitch/conf.db /usr/local/share/openvswitch/vswitch.ovsschema
ovsdb-tool: failed to read schema: "/usr/local/share/openvswitch/vswitch.ovsschema" could not be read as JSON (error opening "/usr/local/share/openvswitch/vswitch.ovsschema": No such file or directory)

Please help. i dont know what to do.Thanks