[ovs-discuss] openvswich freebsd 10.1 release configuration error

Hassan Samii hassan_samii21 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 12 21:05:25 UTC 2015

The OVS deamons are not running because there is no initial configuration.When i launch the commandovsdb-tool create /var/db/openvswitch/conf.db /usr/local/share/openvswitch/vswitch.ovsschema
even if i change the prefix as you said i still get the "No such file or directory" error.
I also tryed "whereis vswitch.ovsschema" and it doesn't find anything.
I think there's supposed to be a folder called openvswitch which should have the db settings and all but apparently it doesnt exist.

     Il Giovedì 12 Novembre 2015 19:43, Joe Stringer <joestringer at nicira.com> ha scritto:

 On 12 November 2015 at 01:45, Hassan Samii <hassan_samii21 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, Firstly i'd like to thank everyone for the amazing work that
> your doing.
>
> To my problem.
> I installed Open vSwitch on a FreeBSD 10.1 Release (which resides on a
> virtual machine working on Virtualbox). I used the Freshports to install
> openvswitch and the installation completed successfully.
> Now the problem is that if i do ovs-vsctl --version i get the following
> (which i suspect is good):
>
> root at FreeBSDPrimo:~ # ovs-vsctl --version
> ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) 2.3.2
> Compiled Nov  4 2015 16:39:41
> DB Schema 7.6.2
>
> but if i use the command ovs-vsctl show i get the following (which is not
> good):
>
> ovs-vsctl: unix:/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock: database connection failed (No
> such file or directory)

Are the OVS daemons running at this point (ovs-vswitchd, ovsdb-server)?

> So then i thought that the configuration do the db was not set so i tried
> this and got the following error:
>
> root at FreeBSDPrimo:~ # rm -f /var/db/openvswitch/conf.db
> root at FreeBSDPrimo:~ # ovsdb-tool create /var/db/openvswitch/conf.db
> /usr/local/share/openvswitch/vswitch.ovsschema
> ovsdb-tool: failed to read schema:
> "/usr/local/share/openvswitch/vswitch.ovsschema" could not be read as JSON
> (error opening "/usr/local/share/openvswitch/vswitch.ovsschema": No such
> file or directory)

I suspect that this port of OVS is configured with /usr as the prefix,
not /usr/local. So the path to the latter would be something like
/usr/share/openvswitch/vswitch.ovsschema.