[ovs-discuss] userspace datapath FreeBSD functionality

Hassan Samii hassan_samii21 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 11:01:24 UTC 2015

thanks, seems a bit clearer.

    Il Venerdì 20 Novembre 2015 11:39, "Fischetti, Antonio" <antonio.fischetti at intel.com> ha scritto:

 Hi Samii,
Broadly speaking ‘in-band control’ means that the Control-Plane and Data-Plane share the same transmission ‘channel’.
A typical example can be Rs-232 with XON/XOFF control bytes, which are sent with data bytes over the same wire.
Or SMTP where the Control messages like ‘HELO’,etc are sent into the same stream of Data messages (the mail body, for ex.).

The official docs describe this feature in ovs, just search “In-Band Control” chapter at
http://openvswitch.org/support/dist-docs/DESIGN.md.html

With in-band control there's no separate/dedicated connection for ovs to communicate with the Controller.

Hope that helps,
Antonio