[ovs-discuss] Architecture Open vSwitch with DPDK

Kury Nicolas nicolas.kury at master.hes-so.ch
Fri Nov 20 10:15:28 UTC 2015

Hi

I'm a master's-degree student and my thesis is about OpenDataPlane (opendataplane.org). I have also a chapter dedicated to OVS, OVS-DPDK and OVS-ODP (OVS-OpenDataPlane).

I have read the FAQ "How to Port Open vSwitch to New Software or Hardware" and many articles

https://github.com/01org/dpdk-ovs/blob/development/openvswitch/PORTING

Open vSwitch

I think I have well understood the architecture. I have my own image. http://s22.postimg.org/p2ow45nap/ovs.png

In the PORTING section, the implementation of ofproto provider has 3 sublayer (ofproto-dpif, dpif and dpif provider). In my image I have only written "ofproto-dpif" to make it simpler to understand. I suppose it is also correct ?

Open vSwitch with DPDK

This part is unclear for me. My image : http://s22.postimg.org/472lswr3l/ovs_dpdk.png

     *   ?Is there a specific implementation of ofproto provider for DPDK ?
     *   Where is the datapath for OVS-DPDK ?
     *   Is the module openvswitch.ko still present ? If yes, does it interact with DPDK ?

Open vSwitch with OpenDataPlane

Do you know anything about OVS-ODP ?
(https://git.linaro.org/lng/odp-ovs.git)

Thank you!