[ovs-discuss] network issue with the guest machine (KVM machine)

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Fri Nov 27 16:56:43 UTC 2015

Please see my response below.

> On Nov 27, 2015, at 4:26 AM, David Gabriel <davidgab283 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dears,
>
> I have an issue with my network connection in the VM side.
> In fact, I set up an ovs bridge then I use this command to set up my VM :
> kvm -m 512 -net nic,macaddr=00:11:22:EE:EE:EE -net tap,script=/etc/ovs-ifup,downscript=/etc/ovs-ifdown -drive file=/home/ubuntu/lubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso,boot=on
>
> The problem here is that network connection is not working fine. Indeed, the network icon is continuously searching ... without getting any stable state that allows me to set an address by ifconfig command.
> Please note that I am running my ovs inside a VM using VMware workstation and the other VM (using nested virtualization) that should connect to my ovs is set up by kvm using the aformentioned command in the same outer VM (where ovs is running).
> I am looking  for your help to fix this issue !

I'd recommend using the libvirt integration with OVS. Here's one example of how to do that:

<http://blog.scottlowe.org/2012/11/07/using-vlans-with-ovs-and-libvirt/>

Also, note that you might need to adjust VMware Workstation's settings to run a hypervisor with nested guests. This document has some information that may help:

<https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970>

Good luck!

--
Scott